Wednesday 8 April 2015

Moses Basket Sarah

Dear Sarah,

On the 4th August 1977 I was living in Ferbane Co Offaly and expecting my third child.  This time I had decided to attend Ballinasloe in Co Galway.  I was enjoying a quiet time at home the other two children were in bed.  Suddenly I had pains that from previous experience told me I should be on my way to the hospital.  I got into the car and as the bags were already there for “that just in case”. Neighbours were called and we were on our way at 10.30pm.  We made it to Shannon Bridge and were waiting for traffic lights on bridge to turn green.  They did and we were quarter way across when we got a puncture.  At that stage I thought I was going to give birth on the bridge!  Tyre changed and on our way again and we arrived in the main street.  Just as we approached Hayes Hotel the pains vanished.  I had been induced on my previous birth and did not find it a pleasurable event I decided I would like a cup of coffee.  Needless to say my other half did not appreciate this stop off! We were only minutes from the hospital and I wanted to be in control of the situation. As we entered the hotel I could see that a wedding was in progress so we sat in the foyer.  People wandered in and out and two elderly ladies came and sat beside us.  They were discussing what everyone was wearing. At one time one of them asked me when my baby due and I was half tempted to say any minute now! We left the hotel at 11.40 as the pains were starting again.  We got to hospital and I was taken straight into the Labour ward.   As it happened the Gynecologist I was attending was there so at one minute past midnight my beautiful daughter Sarah was born and she weighted 8.9lbs.  Some time later I was taken to my room and there in the corner was the Moses basket.  In all the excitement it had been brought in with the baby bags.  Two days later I was allowed to go home and baby Sarah travelled home in the basket.  There was great excitement with her brother and sister both wanting to put her in and out of basket at feeding times.  Sarah remained in the Moses basket for nearly four months as she seemed to like the snugness of the basket.  That of course was you Sarah and it was lovely to see you put your own son, my grandson Loki into it fourteen months ago.

Love Mam xx

No comments:

Post a Comment