Wednesday 8 April 2015

Moses Basket Louise





In 1976 I was expecting my second child.  I was attending the Coombe Hospital and at that time it was the policy of the hospital that you delivered on the date you were due so I was admitted to be induced.  I came to Dublin the night before as my admission was very early the next morning.  This time the Moses basket came with me.  My daughter Louise was born and weighed 6.5 lbs but was unable to keep her temperature steady so was in an incubator for 48 hours.  At last she was able to return to my room.  We were allowed to go home.  I was delighted and at the same time wondering how big brother would react to this new baby.  It went well and over the next few weeks he was constantly checking on her and fixing the blankets.  My father in law spent his time shaking the basket in order to wake up the ‘wain’! Word used in Donegal to describe child.  Louise always looked so comfortable in the basket, and she remained in it till she was two months old.  The last two weeks I used to put Moses basket into the cot as big brother was becoming a bit too helpful and she was safer in cot.  That was nearly 40 years ago and nearly 14 years ago her own daughter used the same basket.  It was lovely to see it still of service and as cosy as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment