Wednesday 28 January 2015

Moses Basket


In 1973 I was expecting my first child so naturally I was very excited.  I decided that I would like to get a Moses basket for the first couple of months as I felt a big cot was not very warm for a new born. I started looking around in all the nursery departments but was not impressed with the quality of the baskets on offer.  I was living in Ferbane in Co.Offaly and someone told me that The Blind Craft shop in Rathmines in Dublin made beautiful baskets.  I travelled to see what they had to offer and was so pleased with the quality and workmanship that I decided to order one there and then. They were made to order and came with a wicker stand similar to the wicker used in the basket.  It also had a mattress shaped to fit the basket which was cut from foam so it was a snug fit.  I was very pleased with my order.  The shop agreed to keep the Moses basket till my baby was born.


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        



My son was born two weeks early so after my stay in the maternity hospital I collected the basket and returned to Ferbane.  I had a very talented friend who made a cover which surrounded the inside of the basket and hood which protected the baby’s head from the bare wicker.  She also made me a matching duvet.  I had five more children and each one used the basket till at least two months old. My brother and his wife also made use of the basket for their two girls.  Through the years numerous people borrowed and used it too.  I would say that forty or more babies had the use of the basket.  I loaned to many work colleagues and apart from the stand which had an altercation with a DOG! it remains in perfect condition.  I am now a Granny and all my five grand children have used it.  I have a God child who is from the Phillipines and he used till he was five months old.  My latest grandson has broken that record by remaining in it till he was six months old! Not that we are trying to break records!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment